3 Reasons: Halloween Candy Dangers To Pets

3 Reasons: Halloween Candy Dangers To Pets

1) Xylitol – Many Halloween candies contain xylitol, an artificial sweeter. It is harmful and can be fatal to your dog’s health. It causes a sudden release of insulin in the dog’s body that leads to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Xylitol can also cause liver damage in dogs. Xylitol toxicity can occur in as few as 30 minutes after ingestion. For cats, feline toxicity is unknown.

2) Theobromine – Chocolate is one of the most common causes of pet poisoning. Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical that is toxic to pets especially when ingested in large quantities. Unlike humans, pets body cannot break down the toxic compound found in chocolate.Chocolates are poisonous to pets.
According to ASPCA Poison Control “as little as 20 ounces of milk chocolate or 2 ounces of baking chocolate can cause problems for a 10 pound dog.”

3)Wrappers – Candy wrappers are extremely dangerous to pets. Ingestion of candy foil wraps or cellophane wrappers can cause choking. It can also cause intestinal obstruction, which often requires surgical intervention. Pets have super sense of smell, make sure not to leave any Halloween candies within reach of your pets.

Dangers To Pets Halloween Candy

 If you suspect your pet has ingested Halloween candy, seek immediate help. Call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

 

Wishing you a fun and safe Halloween season!

Tabitha, Beau and Jax

 

Article and photo creds:  GoldenWoofs: SugartheGoldenRetriever.com